Thursday, February 21, 2008

Victim of Peer Pressure

Peer pressure is such a killer. I never knew that I would fall a victim of it until it creeped up on me. My first experience of peer pressure was when I was in the tenth grade. At the time, I attended Wesley College of Science, a high school in Nigeria. I was somewhat the most popular kid in school but the hold back was that I did not have a cellular phone. My brother sent me some money from Florida and I decided to buy a phone. It was not peer pressure that made me buy the phone, but the stupid act I did after I had bought it.

Because the amount of money I had was not enough to buy a camera phone, I bought a regular one that would work as good as one with a camera, only I would not be able to take pictures with it. All my friends had camera phones though and they teased me every so often of the crapy phone I had. I took the teasing to heart and thought of a way I could get a better phone. That was when I remembered this place where people sold used phones.

My plan was to sell my phone to a dealer and buy another one of a cheaper price from him with the money I got back from the sell. I would then have a gain from the sell and a phone. I would repeat this technique until I had made enough to buy that camera phone which would put me at another level in school. Little did I know that dealers were smarter than I. I sold my first phone and made a gain as I planned but I could not sell the new one because it was all beat up. The prices the dealers offered me were so low that I would definitely not make a gain on the sale.

I was stuck with that phone and that made me feel so stupid. Now if I felt stupid, what do you think people at my school said about my "new" phone?

1 comment:

Shan said...

What a loser? lol.

Peer pressure is a punk.
Looks like you fell for it.
I used to to all the time.
Still do sometimes though.

Nice cell phone...lol.